Propane is the cleaner, more efficient choice in Arizona
Do the electric appliances in your home outnumber your propane gas appliances? You may be shocked to find out how much money you could start saving if you pulled the cord completely on your electric appliances and plugged into propane instead.
Simply put, in most cases, propane is cheaper than electric. When comparing benefits, start with propane water heaters as one example of the cost of propane and the value of comparing propane vs. electric heat.
Propane water heaters generally cost 30% less to operate than electric ones—or 60% less if you use a tankless propane water heater. And don’t forget comfort! Propane water heaters can produce about twice as much hot water as electric units–in the same amount of time. If you’re tired of your electric water heater leaving you shivering in a cold shower, contact your propane company about converting to a propane water heater. It’s a lot easier than you may think!
Don’t stop with water heaters!
People are warming up to propane—and saving money—in many other ways, too.
- Propane ovens and ranges cost significantly less to operate than their electric counterparts. In terms of performance, gas stoves respond almost instantly to changes in temperature settings. This gives you more precise cooking control. This is important when you’re creating certain meals. Electric stoves take longer to respond, particularly when you’re adjusting the temperature down or turning the heat off. Here’s another advantage: a gas stove will continue to work during a power outage.
- A propane clothes dryer gets laundry dry 25% faster than the typical electric model.
- Propane heaters for cold spaces are a great option because they’re much less expensive to operate than portable electric heaters. Vented propane gas space heaters are easy to install, incredible efficient and extremely safe.
Propane is cleaner than electricity
- Propane is one of the cleanest carbon-based fuels.
- The average propane-powered home reduces carbon dioxide emissions by nearly 30% compared to all-electric homes.
- Direct use of propane for space heating, water heating, cooking and clothes drying reduces greenhouse gas emissions up to 50 percent.
- Because propane is nontoxic and doesn’t pose a threat to soil and water above or below ground.
Propane is more efficient than electricity
- Propane appliances typically reduce energy costs, delivering better value and comfort than other heating sources.
- Propane is more efficient than electricity when evaluating the total energy consumed (this includes the energy consumed in the extraction, production, processing and transportation of the fuel to the point of use). Based on this analysis, propane is 87% efficient; electricity is 32% efficient.
- With a clean-burning, high-efficiency propane furnace, less than 10% of fuel is wasted in the combustion process. In comparison, more than two-thirds of the energy used by a power plant to generate and transmit electricity is wasted.
Want to know more about propane vs. electric cost? Interested in converting your old electric appliances to propane? Contact your propane company today!
Sources: National Propane Gas Association; Propane Education Research Council.